Thursday, January 26, 2012

Welcome

Welcome to The Logo Creep, the blog that will help educate those with little knowledge of the sports logo and uniform design business. It is my goal to not only reach an audience of design enthusiasts (and sports fans), but also to also reveal the values and discipline needed to be successful in this field.

I myself am an amateur designer. You will likely never see Oregon or the New England Patriots wearing my designs. For me, creating new uniforms and logos in my spare time and showcasing them for the world to see is good enough. Of course, it is always nice to be recognized for that work as well. Case in point, recently I won the Seattle Seahawks Redesign Contest held by Uni Watch.

But enough about me.

Right now, I'm going to answer a question you probably asked when you first arrived. What the heck is a logo creep?

A logo creep, simply put, is when a uniform manufacturer places the company logo on a sports uniform in a location visible to viewers. The idea behind this is all marketing. If a person sees a uniform that they like, seeing the brand logo will make that person more likely to buy more products from that brand.

Nike logo creep seen on TCUs football uniform


Some people dislike this trend, as they believe it makes the uniforms as much about the manufacturer as it does the team that is actually playing. They feel that sports should be about the team, not the manufacturer, and that by adding the logo creep, companies are degrading the value of the design (I personally don't have that big a problem with it, if the creep isn't overwhelming).



The title Logo Creep also has a second origination. A few years back, it was highly uncommon for a person to be interested in uniform design. People didn't understand my fascination with design, and this occasionally made me the butt of jokes. Of course, being "weird" didn't deter me, as I found a community of others who were fascinated as well. The title is a reference to me being weird, or "a creep" for liking uniform and logo design.

Of course, in 2008, Nike (who I absolutely love) released new uniforms for the Oregon Ducks football team, catching the eye of casual fans. 
Oregon's new uniforms
So now uniform design is becoming somewhat popular amongst the masses of sports fans, which has resulted in both positive and negative outcomes and trends (I will expand on this in future posts).

For now though, I'll leave you with this welcome. Oh, and if you have any other questions or even suggestions for a future post, feel free to comment, and I'll accommodate you as best I can.


3 comments:

  1. Huh, I never realized so much thought can go into a simple placement of an advertisement! I'm really looking forward to reading this blog every week. PS: the background is awesome, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to The Logo Creep, the blog that will help educate those with little knowledge of the sports logo and uniform design business. logo design

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likes enormously boost the attractiveness with the website page and with the suitable amount rely; numerous of us is going to be captivated to your account. The organizations supplying these skilled solutions, will deliver you with non-automated or robotic likes and supply you with correct Instagram likes. buy instagram likes and followers The good stage relating to this will be the incontrovertible fact that they may be truly straight away transported toward your account so you would not have to attend that significantly. And when you're a organization company, growing your Instagram likes will probably be helpful.

    ReplyDelete