Thursday, February 23, 2012

Rebranding the New England Patriots




In past posts, I presented different examples of uniform and logo design that have actively been used in the real world. Today, I wanted to divert from that and present a concept design of my own. This concept is a rebrand of my hometown team, the New England Patriots.


It's not that I think there is anything wrong with what the Patriots currently wear. In fact, I like the look (which puts me in the minority) but there are things that I believe could make it better. 


First, I brought back Pat Patriot, the primary logo the team wore in previous seasons. However, Pat Patriot is too detailed to be a quality logo in modern days, so I created a modernized version of the logo. The new Pat Patriot has a sleeker look, with cleaner shadowing and a simplified coat. Pat's sleeves have been rolled up as a representation of the "roll up your sleeves and get to work" attitude of New Englanders. His face has been changed from a happy grin, to an aggressive scowl to better reflect the game of football in the modern era. Other aspects of the logo remain the same, but are rendered in a more simplistic fashion, similar to many designs currently used.


Next, I redesigned the team's wordmark. I'm not a fan of the team's current wordmark. It isn't the worst I've seen, and there is nothing technically wrong with it, the wordmark just isn't my cup of tea. My version of the wordmark uses a custom font with block style letters that are stylized to portray motion and swiftness. The letters are colored with a red (or silver) strip to further enhance the sense of motion.


Helmet, Primary logo, and Wordmark
For the secondary logo, I wanted to create something that would not only represent the team, but also the entire population of New England as a whole.

The logo is a tattered red flag, adorned with six stars, each representing a New England state and a green pine tree in a similar style to current the flag of New England. The tattering of the flag represents the perseverance and grit of Patriots as well as of New Englanders, who struggle struggle through even the most difficult hardships and succeed.

Secondary Logo
Finally, I created a uniform set that represents the simplicity of the Patriot Way. The primary home uniform is navy blue, with sublimated stripes on the torso, similar to the Patriots uniforms during the 1990s. The numbers are two-toned, featuring white with a silver strip similar to the design of the wordmark. The pants are silver and contain a blue stripe outlined in red. The stripe design represents the speed and fluidity of the Patriots signature style of offense, which features quick passing strikes. The away uniform is the same design with a white uniform and blue pants.



There you have it. In all, this design took me between 3 to 5 weeks to think up and design. Feel free to leave your comments and criticisms on any of the designs.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm willing to pay you to create more of these Pats concepts for me.

    ReplyDelete